Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Betti's Blended Breakfast

About 4 years ago I started having some health problems.  It was unknown to me why since I ate healthy and exercised.  However, I didn't realize I had become lactose intolerant and ate too much gluten (I looooove me some bread and cheese. Mmmmmm!).  Starting your day out right is crucial to giving you energy throughout the day, helping you feel good, and maintaining your health.  After years of different shake mixtures I think I got a great morning protein shake.  And now I'll share my secret recipe.  This is specifically gluten, dairy, soy, and corn free.  If you don't have those intolerances then you can adjust to what you like, but this recipe is pretty yummy :)

Betti's Blended Breakfast Recipe:
-1 handful raw almonds (if you can use live almonds that is better)
-1 1/2- 2 scoops chocolate rice protein powder
-1/8-1/4 cup chia seeds
-2 big handfuls of greens (I use from Costco the organic mix of spinach, kale, and chard because they are some of the healthiest greens and are packed with nutrients)
-1 1/2 cup frozen strawberries (you can mix in fresh strawberries as well to give a sweeter taste. Costco offers organic, which is better to use)
-1/2 cup frozen blueberries (great for brain stimulation.  You can mix in fresh blueberries here as well. Organic preferred here as well)
-1 1/4 cup coconut water (more hydrating than regular water, so this is great to have before a hike/exercise)
-1 cup acai juice (This is great for natural energy. Try to get as close to pure acai juice as possible. Some have pomegranate in it as well, which is great for adding antioxidants)
-1 1/2-2 cups Orange Juice (I use the O.J. with calcium and vitamin D)
-1 1/2 cups cubed ice (this gives it the smoothie texture.  Adjust ice to make it more or less thick)
Optional (any or all):
-1 banana (great for potassium which will help your muscles)
-1 tablespoon maca root powder (this comes in vitamin form as well. Great to take)
-1/4 cup raspberries

This can make a good size shake (40+ ounces).  Adjust ingredients (liquids in particular) according to how much you want.  I have a larger quantity, but it usually take me around 1 1/2-2 hours to drink then holds me over for several hours after.  There are 3 sources of protein which help to curb your appetite longer.  Personally I also find it easier to drink through a straw (sounds silly), but you can drink more and not get a brain freeze :-)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment